- 12″ collar
- Light weight leash
- I’d suggest two kennel sizes: medium (30″) and large (42″)
- As an adult your dog will need a 42″ kennel, but as a puppy that kennel seems monstrous (even with the space divider)
- I’d strongly suggest purchasing a medium size kennel also to use for the first few months
- ADAPTIL Travel
- I’d HIGHLY recommend purchasing the “travel” spray bottle and using it in the following manner for kennel training:
- Spray bed inside kennel about 5-10 minutes before you intend to kennel the puppy. Then simply kennel the puppy.
- My reasoning for using the spray instead of the plug in, is to train the puppy that the kennel is a nice, calm, safe spot. Yes, the plug in would be great for a large space (my vet uses it at her practice), but by using the spray only in the kennel, the puppy learns to be calm in his/her kennel.
- PERSONAL EXPERIENCE STORY: When we picked up 8 wk old Iris near the OH/PA border, we put her in her bed in the back seat with Sarah sitting next to her. Before we even got out of the breeder’s long driveway, Iris was crying like crazy. I thought to myself, “ugh – this is going to be a looooong trip”. But then I remembered we had Adaptil. We stopped at the end of the driveway, took Iris out, sprayed a few spritzes, gagged (and aired out the car – it was strong), put Iris back in and she instantly curled up and went to sleep. I sprayed a few spritzes on her bed inside her kennel anytime I had to kennel her (in the hotel room, in the car while we attended Matt’s basketball games – don’t worry, it was November, temps were fine). By the time we made it home a week later, she loved her kennel and knew it to be a calm environment. ADAPTIL was a game changer for us.
- I recommend FARMINA: N&D Pumpkin – Lamb and Blueberry (our health guarantee is only valid if you feed a Farmina product. See the “nutrition” tab under “resources” for more info)
- Our health guarantee will be VOID if you feed any food other than Farmina or a raw diet. Please head to the page titled “Nutrition” under “Resources” on this site, watch all three videos under “Kibble”
- Farmina N&D Pumpkin
- If you are local – Cherry Valley Feed carries it
- If you’re not local – it can be ordered online
- My recommendations for regular additions to the diet:
- Homemade kefir (see my Kefir page for more info – I have grains I will give you so you can make your own. My adult dogs get approximately 2 Tbsp of fresh kefir every day.)
My recommendations for fresh food treats:
There are other fruits and veggies dogs can have. Don’t get trapped into thinking you can only give your dog purchased dog treats. In fact, fresh food treats are healthier for them, just like they are for us. There are some things dogs can’t have – research and learn what they are.